DVB-T2 no EIT support for HD channels
|Assignee:||Adam Sutton||% Done:|
|Found in version:||latest git code||Affected Versions:|
I have a TBS-6280 DVB-T2 Freeview HD card which works very well with TVHeadend and all SD channels get epg data OTA but none of the HD channels do which is frustrating. As far as I am aware the Freeview HD epg data uses the same compression found on the Freesat platform (Huffman text compression) so it would be great if we could get support for this.
#1 Updated by Adam Sutton 11 months ago
Yeah someone mentioned they thought that it should be the same coding, but I've not looked into it. How long has your system been running? Has it had time to find the transponder carrying the EPG data, because since I've not looked into it I've not hardcoded the mux as I have the freesat one.
I don't unfortunately have a DVB-T card I can test on, so I might need to enlist some help?
#2 Updated by Scott Ware 11 months ago
The system has been running for a while now and has had time to get epg data for all SD channels. I certainly don't mind helping out with testing. I haven't looked into it too deeply but I assume the epg data for the HD channels is on a separate mux to the SD epg data as standard DVB-T channels work fine, just DVB-T2.
#5 Updated by Scott Ware 11 months ago
You appear to be correct. I modified eit.c so that the Huffman conversion code was not explicit to freesat and I now get epg data for the HD channels on DVB-T2. Thanks for your help, much appreciated and great to see development for TVHeadend underway again, great job.
#6 Updated by Adam Sutton 11 months ago
The reason for the freesat specific bit is that they use an encoding type byte (0x1f) that's just defined as for future/private use. My concern is that use of this value is probably not globally unique, and since TVH is designed to accept many different satellite/terrestrial feeds its possible there might be a clash somewhere.
However since this is the only use I'm "currently" aware of and support, I'll possibly remove the restriction. But I'll give it some thought and see if I can't come up with some halfway house solution.
#7 Updated by Adam Sutton 11 months ago
- File t.patch added
Could you try something for me, can you remove the mod you made and apply the attached patch. You will need to enable UK: Freeview support in the OTA interfaces (this is a "dummy" module that will enable freesat huffman decode for standard EIT). This will at least make it possible (should other examples of this type byte be found) for people to turn things off to ensure the "right" decode is used.
If this works for you, then I'll merge into master.
#8 Updated by Scott Ware 11 months ago
I applied the above patch and for some reason tvheadend crashed on startup. I tried a clean config and it crashed as soon as I added a mux to one of my adapters. I had a quick glance over the patch and couldn't see anything obvious but maybe you will have more luck.
#9 Updated by Adam Sutton 11 months ago
Hmm, I'll have to take a better luck. I have to admit I hacked that together and didn't both to test it. So my idea of creating a "dummy" module is probably at odds with what I've actually coded in the rest of the system, probably doesn't like the NULL ptr I'm passing to some of the callbacks.
I'll have a look.
#10 Updated by Adam Sutton 11 months ago
- File t.patch added
- % Done changed from 0 to 90
Looks like my code was not designed to accept the "dummy" module setup I was trying to do. I've fixed that, but I've also made a few more general changes to better structure things (for one you no longer need to select EIT for freeview to work).
Can you give this a try and let me know if it works. Currently I don't think freeview is getting any series link info, but I'm going to be investigating that later.