This is a guide that describes how to install a HTPC from scratch that runs Showtime.
- Get Ubuntu 12.04 and install it.
- Log in with the user created during install. After logging in Ubuntu will soon ask you to install a bunch of updates and might also ask about install/upgrade restricted drivers. Do this (unless you have a good reason not to do). Typically if you have an nVidia graphics card you want to do this. System restart might be required.
- Start Firefox and browse to https://www.lonelycoder.com/showtime/download. Locate the downloadable for Ubuntu 12.04 (choose 32-bit or 64-bit version depending on which version of Ubuntu you installed). Click on the .deb file and Firefox will ask if it's ok to open Ubuntu Software Center. Do so and press the 'install' button to the upper right once the details for Showtime appears.
- Now go to System Settings -> User Accounts -> enable "Automatic Login" (note that you need to Unlock in order to do this)
- Log out (from the session menu on the top right of the desktop)